Technology & Design: Factory Tour
In the speaker-building chain, manufacturing is just as important a link as research and design. At Paradigm we design and build drive units, crossover networks, electronics, amplifiers, plastics and enclosures – and even our own tooling, production and testing equipment – to ensure greater precision and superior quality control.
- Advanced robotics help ensure strict quality standards. This assembly glues dust-caps and holds them in place until the adhesive sets.
- Our injection-molding machines use molds we design and produce. Look closely at this one and you can see a Monitor Series bass/midrange cone “hot off the press!
- Auto-insertion machines like this one attach components to circuit boards, ensuring greater accuracy and reliability.
- Our electronic discharge machine (EDM) creates component molds like the one in figure 5. The EDM uses an electrical charge to “carve out” metal at the molecular level to a tolerance of ±0.005 mm (±0.0002 in)!
- With the EDM we can attain a level of detail that would otherwise be impossible. Notice the intricacies in this high-performance AMS-100R chassis.
"What makes Paradigm different is the way they do things … in a world in which most speaker makers depend on other manufacturers for the drivers, electronics, and other components that go into their speakers, the Paradigm people insist on making most of their own parts — and the parts that make those parts. They also insist on selling through the kind of audio retailer who actually lets you sit down and listen to the music."
- Mark Fleischmann, Home Theater