Better Sound by Paradigm
Paradigm is a better brand of audio. With better audio comes a better experience. We've been building better audio for more than 30 years. Unlike almost every other audio manufacturer, we have our own sound research and development facilities—a 36,000-cubic-foot anechoic chamber to take accurate sound measurements and our own double blind listening rooms to test every product we produce. We've won hundreds of product awards and garnered thousands of rave reviews.
The History of Paradigm
Now well into its third decade, Paradigm has firmly established the invaluable reputation of producing outstanding affordable high-end speakers at a price which none can compete.
Headquartered just outside of Toronto, Canada, Paradigm’s large and advanced facilities house extensive state-of-the-art R&D resources. These include the largest (33,000 cu. ft.) privately owned anechoic chamber, 2 dedicated double-blind screen listening rooms and a highly advanced proprietary speaker measurement system.
In 1982, with in-depth previous experience in the Sales and Marketing of speakers, Co-founder Jerry VanderMarel, together with Co-founder Scott Bagby, a highly talented speaker designer, set out to produce the finest high-end high-value speakers available. The first two models that were produced were the Model 7 and the Model 9. These two models were shown at the Toronto audio show and our first 12 independent dealers were signed up, some of which are still Paradigm dealers today.
Initially Jerry managed Paradigm’s Sales, Marketing and advertising while Scott looked after design and manufacturing. From humble beginnings when speaker boxes were used for office dividers, Paradigm quickly grew to be a significant player in the Canadian speaker market. The company continued to grow to the point where speaker boxes gave way to office dividers and Paradigm continued to design, manufacture and offer better sounding product.
Other Key Dates
- 1984 – Show, tell, Demo was developed. A highly effective training tool for dealers.
- 1985 – First use of die cast chassis
- Bill VanderMarel formed AudioStream in 1986 to market Paradigm products in the United States. Prior to AudioStream, Bill had extensive experience in Sales & Marketing of electronics and speakers. What started out as a typical small home office distribution company with too many weeks on the road to remember, quickly grew into a full-fledged, highly efficient Sales & Marketing group of professionals.
- 1989 – First in wall produced AMS 200
- 1990 – Paradigm won its first best price/value award from Inside Track
- 1992 – Introduction of the Atom, Paradigm’s #1 selling model
- 1993 – PARC opens. Peter Schuck and Marc Bonneville who worked at the NRC were hired by Paradigm to run PARC in Ottawa. Peter was the Project Leader and principal researcher for the Athena Project, a foundation for the Paradigm “Sound”
- 1996 – Introduction of Paradigm Reference, Launch of Studio Series and the Servo 15
- 1999 - Introduction of the Stylus Series in the outdoor category
- 2001 – Mississauga manufacturing facility opens… 225,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing
- 2004 – Introduction of the Signature Series
Over the years Paradigm has become one of the premier speaker product lines in the market, offering the finest in performance and value. Paradigm is also one of the fastest growing speaker brands in the market, this growth due solely to Paradigm’s emphasis on product performance. Paradigm is a product driven company, and as such has invested heavily over the years in R&D and production facilities. Today Paradigm has one of the most advanced speaker R&D and engineering facilities in the world. These facilities have made Paradigm North America’s premier driver manufacturer - building state-of-the-art woofers and tweeters for exclusive use in Paradigm speakers, as well as a leading brand of high performance speaker systems.
Paradigm’s R&D facilities include
- One of the largest anechoic chambers for use in speakers (33,000 cubic feet).
- Complete digital data acquisition computer measurement systems.
- Computer aided design (CAD) for driver component development.
- Electronics and computer software design at the Paradigm Advanced Research Center (PARC).
Paradigm’s Engineering facilities include
- Advanced CAD systems for component design and tooling.
- A state- of-the-art tooling and automation center incorporating the latest in computer aided manufacturing (CAM) and NC machines.
Paradigm’s Production facilities include the manufacture of
- Bass/midrange drivers.
- Tweeter drive units.
Paradigms immense success is the stuff legends are made of. From meager beginnings, Paradigm has grown to become the performance/value leader in the market. In fact, the highly respected trade magazine, Inside Track, has rated Paradigm #1 for best price/value for the past 10 consecutive years. Paradigm products are now available in some 55 countries around the world, distributed by 25 distributors and has become one of the best selling speakers in North America.
So what has created this enormous success? Pure and simple… product performance. Jerry, Scott, Bill and all the others at Paradigm are audiophiles. We have a fundamental love of music and the pleasure it provides in our lives. As such Paradigm has always been a product driven company. The concern has always been with producing real wood products that can genuinely bring us closer to the live musical event.
In this pursuit we have always been extremely careful to not delude ourselves. In speaker design it is all too easy to attempt to isolate and control one specific performance parameter in a speaker. This often leads to mixed performance results - a speaker may sound good in one room and not very good in another or sometimes the problem is a designer is chasing is simply result in a speaker with some unusual sonic traits.
To prevent this we have found disciplining ourselves to double-blind screen evaluations keeps us on track. Please don’t misunderstand, these tests are not designed to show the ultimate performance capabilities in a speaker but they do tell us clearly and remarkably quickly whether a speaker is making the good sound grade or not. While all of this dramatically increased design time, it also ensures our products have superb high-end performance and uncanny timbrel consistency.
Paradigm’s success also extends beyond North America. With it’s very high performance and value reputation, Paradigm has built a large and growing position in world-wide markets.
Over the years, Paradigm has garnered enthusiastic reviews from numerous magazines with a great number of awards and accolades. In fact since 1990, Paradigm has received over 200 awards for it’s various models clearly making it the #1 choice for critical listeners.